Saturday, March 08, 2008

Indian Food & Other Heated Things

It has finally happened... I have had Indian food that I liked. I mean I have been to India, and I didn't like the food. But last night (after a few hours of drinks), the group I was with suggested going out for Indian food. I said I would go and break nan with them... but I would not likely eat since I don't care for Indian food. Well, I was wrong. Everything I tasted was filled with flavor. I still don't like the textures involved in most Indian dishes, but the flavors were nice. This is a huge thing for me because I like pretty much any type of food in the world. But Indian food has always been like pimento cheese for me - just can't make myself like it.

I also learned that chutney is originally from India. I have always thought is was a British thing. The Canadians love to point out my ignorance on things.

Along those lines, get the Canadians going on the US political race... throw in the fact that I am a Christian... and you have quite the makings of heated discussion. One of the girls in the group last night stopped the conversation because she said it was unfair for me. I appreciated this, but also stated that I can take it. It is so funny how perceptions can be so different depending on where you live. In any event, I enjoy sparring with people even when I am in the minority.

The Calgary Chronicles continue....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go with the pimento cheese example. Glad you're blogging more frequently lately. I like it. When you go a long time without blogging, it's like pimento cheese.

Nicole Starch said...

Yeah!! I wasn't sure if we could remain friends if you didn't like Indian food. How would you like to come over to the Bellaire Lake House and be treated to some homemade Tandoori Chicken and some mango chutney goodness?

Anonymous said...

I don't know what Tando...schmear schmear is, but I know where the Bellaire Lake House is located and you are always invited over...especially if I get to crash the fun and sample my roomie's yummy cooking!