Saturday, January 19, 2008

I know what a reservation is....

'No, I don't think you do."

This very scene from Seinfeld actually happened to me this morning. To the dismay of at least one person, I can't say that I reenacted the dialogue; I was just too frustrated to find humor in it at the time.

Last night, I reserved a car for this weekend. I booked it for 9:00 am because I had plans to meet someone for breakfast at 9:30.

*Sidebar: We met at a place called Diner Deluxe, and I am not sure I have been to a place that serves better breakfast. Buffalo Grille in Houston comes close, but this place is at the top of my list.*

So I show up to Avis promptly at 9:00. The kind young lady behind the counter (with whom I have had other "service issues" in the past) proceeds to tell me that she does not have any cars to give me. Now I walked right by the holding lot, and saw plenty of cars; but none of them were compacts (which is what I had reserved). Rather than give me a free upgrade, she tells me that I have to go to another location to pick up my car. So she gets one of the guys from the back to drive me to this other location. He does not speak English very well, so I was not sure where I would end up. It seemed like a simple (albeit inconvenient) plan, but he just didn't seem to grasp what was happening.

In the end, I got my car and made it to breakfast by 10:00. This is why Seinfeld was such a great show. It captured moments like these and made them funny.

So now, I am sitting in my appartment watching the snow come down... it really is a nice site (especially from the comforts of my livingroom with the fireplace roaring). I am living the hard life for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're finally blogging again.

Running in the snow? I think not.

Kim :)

Anonymous said...

"It's the holding!" "Anyone can take..."

PT