Friday, January 18, 2008

Fish out of water... but loving it

Around 4:30 yesterday afternoon, I was talking with a co-worker and noticed that it was snowing outside. I expressed some excitement/pleasure over this, and he basically said I was weird for liking the snow. I told him that for those of us who rarely see white stuff on the ground (that wasn't used as packaging), it is a bit glamorous. Of course, as one of my lurker friends said some weeks ago - it is just water on your shoes and windshield. That is true in the physics realm, but snow is just good times. I went for a run in it last night... and it was great. It is so much more enjoyable to run in sub-freezing temperatures with snow falling than in 95 degree heat with 100% humidity.

Of course, I got reflective as I watched the snow fall and stick on the ground. I likened it to God's Word in a round about way. Under the right conditions, snow sticks to whatever surface it fall on. Every once in long while, snow will fall in Houston. But it rarely sticks for any length of time. The reason - the ground is just not cold enough. It is not prepared to receive the snow. And it occured to me that our hearts are the same way with God's Word. We can read it every day, all day. But if He has not prepared our hearts for what His Word has to say - there will be no long term effects or changes.

No comments: