Friday, September 05, 2008

Overcoming Adversity at the RNC

I was called out for blogging about the DNC and not the RNC. I was told that this makes me a closet Democrat. I guess I am part of the liberal biased media that only reports on what the Blue Left is up to.

In an attempt to be "fair and blanced," here is my obligatory blog on the RNC.

In all seriousness, I have not been able to watch as much of the RNC. I have it all saved on my DVR, and I plan to watch the speeches this weekend. But I did make a point to listen to Gov. Palin and Sen. McCain. They both did a great job, in my humble but accurate opinion.

Let me say this about the RNC... there was not a lot of internal drama like there was in Denver last week. There was only one candidate, and the whole arena was solidly behind him. He and Palin didn't have to create any unity within the Party. They did have to present Palin as capable... and I think that was done with ease. She has the kind of gumption that I love. I love it in a leader... and I find it attractive in a woman. Of course, elections are not based attraction. But I digress.

They also had to create a little distance between McCain and President Bush. I liked how McCain wore a yellow tie last night. Don't think for a second that such a choice was not very intentional. He has the vast majority of the Red vote... he may get some of the Blue vote... but what he needs are the Independents.

McCain's best line last night (which I assume was on the fly): "Don't be deterred by the ground noise and static." He was not shaken at all by the protests and moles that infiltrated the RNC. I thought he handled it very well.

At the end of the day, the RNC may have overplayed the "service to country" card. But I still feel that it is an important and effective card. It means a lot to me, and I am sure it means a lot to many Americans. The man clearly comes off as not being in this for himself. Obama does not really send that same message.

I am looking forward to the debates... especially the VP one. Palin may have a little trouble with Biden, but I think she will be able to hold her own just fine. McCain will struggle a bit against the polished talk of Obama; but at the end of the day, I think he will pull it out.

I will proudly cast my vote for McCain/Palin.

3 comments:

PT said...

I was impressed by the number and quality of speakers at the RNC. The GOP has several experienced, yet diverse leaders. Everyone they rolled out there I was impressed with in some way. I think the future is bright for the Republicans, even if they've absorbed the Independants. I was just disappointed Jindal (LA's Gov) didn't get to speak.

Todd Richards said...

I, too, was disappointed with Jindal's absence. And I agree... the future does look bright for the Republicans. I am hoping for a repeat of the 80's under Reagan's leadership. Not saying that McCain will be a Reagan, but Obama certainly will not.

Nicole Starch said...

I've never been one to claim a party - I write libertarian on Facebook only to get a rise out of folks like Mr. Richards here - but I have tended to vote Democrat more often than Republican. Gotta say this is the first time in a decade that I'm considering the voting Republican. We'll see after the debates which I might enjoy watching with a couple of you hardcore GOP'ers. Had a lot of fun with you last night. Thanks for dinner and Blue Moon.