Monday, May 05, 2008

Weekend Update...

This was my last weekend in Calgary. I will still be here for two more weeks, but I will not be here on the weekends anymore (unless I foot the bill). This post will be longer than most as I have a lot to cover...

I spent Friday evening at my Calgary Sendoff party - thrown by some wonderful ladies I have met during my time up here. One of them gave me the nickname Texas Todd, and they all enjoyed the fact that someone else gave me the nickname Louisiana Heat. So as a going away gift, they gave me a shirt that has Texas Todd on the front and Louisiana Heat on the back. There is also a large Canadian flag on the back. Good times. There was a lot of discussion about how big the shirt was, and they thought I would be offended by that. But then it fit me quite well... but it is a LARGE shirt. So I am not sure what that says about me. But stories were told (one involved a zombie on a toilet and another involved mutated jelly fish killing Seatle) and good times were had.

On Saturday, I took off to Banff for a hike. I hiked Johnston's Canyon while listening to worship music. There were a few times when I could be heard singing... and seen raising my hands. It was a great time for me. The hike lasted two hours, but I pray that some of the moments will last in my memory for years to come.

Then I headed into town for lunch. I decided to just pick a place and hope it was good. I picked a winner. Cafe Soleil satisfied me in every way that food can. I kept commenting to the waiter how good everything was. When I sat down, I didn't intend to get dessert... but since the food was so good, I said why not? Man... the dessert was as good if not better than the meal. I highly recommend this place. I am still happy about it.

That night, I went to a birthday party at a Mexican restaurant. I had heard that there was no good Mexican food to be had in Calgary, but this was good stuff. The margarita left a lot to be desired, but the food was very authentic... more Mexican than TexMex. But the best part of the night was the salsa lessons (because people like to say salsa). I learned Cuban style salsa... and had a blast.

Sunday morning I was an hour late for church (totally confused the time). I missed the singing portion, but heard the sermon... and it was solid.

So all in all, not a bad way to spend my last weekend in Calgary.

No comments: