Tuesday, December 18, 2007

"You probably don't like Christmas much"

Yes, someone said those very words to me just this morning. I asked why this person thought that would be true... and she said because I am a guy. Now maybe this is a Canadian thing that I just don't understand... but I just don't understand. Who knew that men were not supposed to like Christmas. Well, if liking Christmas deducts man points, I will just have to make them up somewhere else... cuz I love this time of year.

More than anything, I like what Christmas celebrates - the Word becoming flesh to dwell among us. Said more simply, the birth of Jesus. Now unless I have some readers in some distant lands... this is not news to anyone. We all know that is what is being celebrated all over the world on December 25th.... hence the big deal over saying Merry Christmas. But that is another blog topic for another blogger. I will not get into that fray. Simply put - the season of Christmas exists because God humbled Himself and was born in the brokenness of humanity so that He could redeem that brokenness. Hallelujah!

But I even kinda like the commercial aspect of Christmas. I don't like that it tends to outshine the aspect discussed above... but I like giving gifts. I like getting gifts. I like surprises. I like finding the perfect gift (which I don't always do... but when I do, what a great thing it is). I like how stores decorate for the season (this may very well deduct some man points... but so be it). I like the specialness of the season. Some things only happen between Thanksgiving and December 25th. Being a person who appreciates traditions - I eat this up.

I like Christmas music... yes, even some of the songs that don't sing about Christ. I like the ones that do a lot more, of course... but Silver Bells, Winter Wonderland, Frosty the Snowman, and Jingle Bells are just good tunes.

I like Christmas musical programs that churches put on. I went to the one at HFBC this past weekend, and I really enjoyed it. Sure, there are some cheesy aspects to these shows... but the central theme is still there - Jesus Christ was born. Usually, the part when the Wise Men kneel before Jesus is pretty elaborate (at least in the HFBC musicals it always has been). This year, it was very understated. But as I was telling a friend of mine this weekend... I don't care how you do it, the symbolism will always make my eyes well up.

Christmas movies, Christmas cookies (and other treats), Christmas lights, Christmas cards, Christmas parties... and on and on and on. I like it all.

So if you are reading this, I hope you have a merry Christmas. Even though I have been away from home for most of it, I have enjoyed it nonetheless.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Silent monks "singing" the Hallelujah chorus- classic.

thePiks said...

Merry Christmas Todd! I love the second paragraph. What a simple way to state the meaning of Christmas.
Amanda

Mandy said...

Do you think your mom would make me some of her famous (secret recipe) spicy trash mix? :) Pleeeeeeease!!!

Todd Richards said...

She has scaled back on that... I had to plead with her to make it at all this year. I ate my stash the first day.

Stacy said...

i have never heard of christmas not being manly. granted if you show up with a tie that plays music or has a red flashing light or wear a red and green sweater vest everyday, i might laugh and/or make fun of you...but that's allowed. it's christmas and is indeed the most wonderful time of the year. merry christmas!