This weekend, some friends and I traveled up to Dallas, TX to watch some 1st and 2nd round NCAA tournament action. Good times were had by all, and I got to know a couple of the guys in the group better... which was definitely a major highlight of the trip. But aside from that, below is my Top Ten Favorite things about the weekend (this is a Top Ten that is really in chronological order):
10. Staying it the McDonalds Fried Apple Pie box. Check out the "exterior" picture on the website... the nickname is courtesy of D-Luxe.
9. The Defense Lady. Everyone in and around section 321 of the AA Center on Friday knows exactly who I am talking about. Sweet old lady... who just really wanted Memphis to do well on defense.
8. Asking for silverware 3 times... and never getting it. During the break between sessions on Friday, we went to a small Itallian eatery for dinner. Well, the place was pretty well packed... and one of the guys in our group just wanted a fork with which to eat his cheesecake. He asked politely three times... and ended up having to wipe off the fork of another guy at our table in order to enjoy his dessert.
7. Omar Wilkes amazing bucket against N.C. State. As ESPN.com put it: "The shot of the game came from Bears sophomore Omar Wilkes, who in one leap caught, spun and fired a long 3-pointer as the 35-second clock was expiring." Defintely the highlight shot of the weekend in the bracket we saw.
6. Riding the Hooters bus to stay dry. We couldn't get a cab... it was raining... the Hooters bus was beckoning us to ride it. What could we do? The full story is that we just rode the bus to Hooters so we could go inside to wait for a cab.
5. The quest for LSU apparel. On Saturday, I wanted to sport some purple and gold to support the Tigers against the beloved Aggies. Well, this sent us on a fun, dangerous, and somewhat illegal journey. Our driver (who shall remain nameless) handled himself well as he drove the wrong direction on a feeder. Truly a highlight of the weekend...
4. Fried Twinkies. Wow! Rich doesn't even begin to describe it. Deliciously disgusting is more like it.
3. Watching LSU Tiger Darrel Mitchell make a three point jumper to win against the Aggies. This one we saw on TV... but it was exciting nonetheless.
2. Running from the parking lot to the AA Center in what must have been one of the worst storms to hit Dallas in 2006. This was quite possibly the funniest moment that happened the whole weekend. We couldn't do anything but run in a torential downpour... and laugh at ourselves, of course. And then... we had to stop at a stop light for traffic. I think I may have cussed, actually. At one point, someone said, "Is that hail?" I think it was..
1. Cheering against UT... in Dallas... TWICE. I have no beef against the University of Texas, but I did cheer against them in both of their games this weekend. The mighty Quakers and the Wolfpack both had me in their corners because everyone likes an upset in March.